Saturday, January 27, 2007

A Good School

I feel as though I am stuck at a cross roads in the middle of life right now. Any hasty decision will determine the rest of my life. It seems so strange that when I am so young trying to earn an undergraduate degree and at the same time consider graduate studies that even if I am accepted into a program I will only be 25 by the time I finish. Then when your that young why even stop there, why not just go on? So why not get a PhD? Even then by the time I finish that I’ll still be under thirty.
So now that I know I have all this option to go on in further education I have to play my cards right. Where to I get my MA? What do I choose for a program? What MA at what school will allow me to on to get into a PhD program? Even if I get a Masters degree from a particular school will it be acceptable to get into a school of my choosing to get a PhD? The whole degree situation is really the most confusing thing I’ve ever had to work out. My forty page paper on eschatology is simpler then this. If I go somewhere that’s too expensive I won’t be able to afford it past my first year. If I go somewhere that is cheap in Canada my American wife won’t be able to work right away. If I go somewhere cheaper in the states how do I know if the school is reputable enough? I don’t want to go to a denominational seminary because the education for something like theological or biblical studies probably won’t be broad enough. Most seminaries have inbred faculty who went to the seminary then decided never to leave.
I just want a good school. I just don’t know what it looks like when I’ve found one I can afford.
Christopher J.

No comments: