Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What is Christopher Theology???

So what is Christopher theology you might ask? Well, I'm taking my que from Richard Horndern who notes that while mainstream contemporary theology which is found common within the 'white-middle-class-male-view", the liberation theologies say that there needs to be particularisms with theology. It's sort of post-modern you might say, but I am a particularism to which theology must be applied and worked out. I am not a feminist, a calvinist... well maybe, not sure about that one. I'm not a post, pre, or mid millenialist, nor am I an a millenialist, but I guess if things change in the near future I may have to change my mind about this. Liberation theology caters to individuals and particularisms. James cone wrote that to be of a particular group exluding individuals within the doing of theology leaves a tainted view of the world that is never really reconciled unless someone steps outside themselves and becomes someone else (extremely loose paraphrase). If this is really true we can only find God within the commonalities of particularist theology which caters to the oppressed, the very idea that theology may be done by middle to upper class white males is in itself unchristian and counter productive to the action of theology, and thus, what you have is essentially a culmination of myself and my pre-theoredical grid and a record of my life and how I have consequently interacted with the world as a result. What James Cone was really getting at is that while I am within a particular class, and race, and background, my praxis of theology is specific to me, and it would be wrong for me to 'inflict' my praxis upon say a ukranian-swiss refugee living in Canada, and that to gain a most universal theology of God, we must then reconcile with others to account for the discrepincies and disagreements within particularist theologies. But my blog is more narcissicist because I'm writing it without really reading anyone elses, and according to James Cone you'll benefit more from reading my blog then I would. So if you can understand me. Best of luck.
Christopher J.

No comments: