Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ministry Employment

I am so frustrated with people who advertise about church work or whatever. It's really annoying. The only decently paying jobs want 5 years experience and an MA or some seminary degree, but they'll never pay off your loan so they'll never hire anyone. Half the people who put out the advertisements can't even spell their own advertisements. One was looking for a bilingual person who "understand both English and Spanish." These churches ask so much of people looking to go into youth ministry and they want a pastor to be educated, an administrator, set a budget, organize a youth program or just even start one part time with the possibility of it growing into full time. Somehow, getting youth to your church is not going to increase your budget, at least not high school students anyway. How can churches not realize this, it's pretty unlikely that if the church is 50 and you grow the youth group that the rest of the church is going to grow too unless you wait ten years until all the kids are tithing adults who become members... which won't happen if the church is only 50 there's probably a reason for it (ie. the congregation or the pastor). Most churches kill their youth pastor with loads of responsibilites that have nothing to do with ministry and they pay them nothing almost and act like the pastor doesn't have anything to do anyways. I would like some church try and coherce me into becoming their youth pastor, tell me why I would be good for them. It's ridiculous that these little church committees run around looking for the most charismatic personality they can find with no brains just to attract people like church is supposed to be a tele-evangelized program. The most annoying thing in searching for jobs is when they advertise "looking for a Spirit-filled..." what does that even mean? They probably don't even know what that looks like. I think I'm going to learn to drive a bus or something, forget church work, I'd rather just lead a Bible study at home or something, do my own thing. Why don't church's advertise "looking for a youth pastor who will grow the youth and teach them what you've learned in Bible College, do what it takes, just don't be a heretic or mistreat the Bible or our tradition." I think churches and church boards today have a real power trip over youth ministry thinking that Bible College graduates are incompetent or something. And what is up with the age thing too? I have seen so many church advertisements saying that the youth pastor should be between 20-30? Is this just because Robb Bell and what's his name down at the purpose driven church are that age? I hate looking for jobs, I get depressed just looking at the sort of advertisements and what sort of pastors everyone wants. On the plus side I'll be graduating soon with a BA in Theology... now what do I do? I think I'll get a liscense to drive a semi or something.

No comments: